The Gulf Seafood Foundation – 501(c)(3)
The Gulf Seafood Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit, was formed to support and promote the high standards for the Gulf’s vast commercial and recreational fisheries industry.
Gulf seafood is a driving force in the development of the region’s fast growing culinary tourism industry, as well as a centerpiece of its historic culture. It has grown from a subsistence economy to a world-class operation, but is facing challenges in marketplace and with environmental issues. The Foundation works with the seafood community, restaurateurs, tourism, petroleum and others to ensure the safety and availability of Gulf seafood, as well as increasing the economic value of the brand.
An Organization Rooted in Helping
During the BP Deepwater Horizon tragedy in 2010, the Friends of the Fishermen Foundation, the predecessor of the Gulf Seafood Foundation, was created as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization to support Gulf fisherman.
After five disasters impacted the Gulf Coast and its fishing community, the Friends of the Fishermen had a mandate to strengthen and revitalize the Gulf seafood industry, identify threats and execute strategic plans to successfully navigate troubled waters.
The Gulf Seafood Foundation is committed to continue the important work of its predecessor. Its membership is national and derived from of every sector of the seafood industry: harvesters, educators, processors/wholesalers, restaurateurs, retailers, fisheries resource managers, public health officers, and marketing specialists. Hospitality, petroleum, tourism and other related industries also are included in its membership.
The organization’s core values stand as a guiding light for the Gulf seafood industry, as well all industries important to its tourism and culture.
- We choose to act solely in a positive manner.
- We do what we believe is right, regardless.
- Agreement to disagree is good, healthy and necessary.
- We operate in trust and with integrity, treating all with dignity and respect.
- We are an action-oriented organization. Words alone are insufficient. We believe in lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
- We choose practical programs that should yield tangible, positive and pragmatic results.
- Believe in the science and in education to achieve goals. Never, ever, ever give up.